U2 - Songs of Innocence

U2 - Songs of Innocence

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 am

So, how are you guys (iTunes users, at least) enjoying your free U2 record? I'm enjoying it more than anything since Rattle and Hum. It's no Unforgettable Fire, but it's a good record. Yes, Bono is insufferable and his lyrics suck, but that's nothing new. It is a little weird to hear The Edge playing some classic rock guitar, but I guess that's not particularly new either. Countdown to derision and condemnation in 4...3...2...1
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:00 am

version sound wrote:So, how are you guys (iTunes users, at least) enjoying your free U2 record? I'm enjoying it more than anything since Rattle and Hum. It's no Unforgettable Fire, but it's a good record. Yes, Bono is insufferable and his lyrics suck, but that's nothing new. It is a little weird to hear The Edge playing some classic rock guitar, but I guess that's not particularly new either. Countdown to derision and condemnation in 4...3...2...1

Achtung Baby called and demands an apology ASAP. Heck, this makes All That You Can't Leave Behind seem like your MFSL $3 version of The Joshua Tree. At least that one (ATYCLB) had a few really good, memorable tunes on it!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 am

it's getting as much play as the new moz record in my house.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 am

JGJR wrote:Achtung Baby called and demands an apology ASAP. Heck, this makes All That You Can't Leave Behind seem like your MFSL $3 version of The Joshua Tree. At least that one (ATYCLB) had a few really good, memorable tunes on it!

Achtung Baby sucks. U2 as a classic rock band? Pfffft. No thanks. ATYCLB had ONE good song. I was actually excited about that one and found it to be pretty tedious. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is a better record than ATYCLB.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:21 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:Achtung Baby called and demands an apology ASAP. Heck, this makes All That You Can't Leave Behind seem like your MFSL $3 version of The Joshua Tree. At least that one (ATYCLB) had a few really good, memorable tunes on it!

Achtung Baby sucks. U2 as a classic rock band? Pfffft. No thanks. ATYCLB had ONE good song. I was actually excited about that one and found it to be pretty tedious. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is a better record than ATYCLB.

I've never heard How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb in its entirety, but I remember hearing one or two singles and they didn't do much for me. That record does have a pretty good reputation, though, so maybe I'll check it out. And yeah, "Beautiful Day" is far and away the best song on ATYCLB, but I kind of liked "Elevation", too. The rest of it? No thanks.

Re: Achtung Baby, you've never actually heard it, have you? It's way more post-punk than classic rock. One song even has a Madchester feel. Some of it is directly inspired by Berlin-era Bowie and it was recorded at the same place. And FWIW, U2 have had classic rock in their DNA from day one (particularly The Doors, Springsteen and Van Morrison).
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:28 am

Dude, I bought it when it was new. It was the record that ended me considering myself a U2 fan. I don't think you've listened to it in 20 years. There is nothing post-punk about "Even Better Than The Real Thing", "One", "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", or "Mysterious Ways". Those songs are all FM radio fodder. The other, admittedly more interesting, songs sound like U2 trying to ape the stuff that had been recently popular in the UK, from Madchester to shoegaze. They pretty much failed on adapting those styles.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:34 am

First 5 LP's are classics.

I don't like Rattle and Hum.

Achtung Baby is good, sometimes great.

Zooropa and Pop, I haven't listened to in years.

ATYCLB is top heavy, first side (all the singles) is really good. "Walk On" is great.

How To Dismantle...is definitely better than ATYCLB, really good album, though I haven't listened to it since probably 2005.

No Line On The Horizon was zzzzzz to me though "Magnificent" is a great song

new album is tight. U2 is a band people love to hate, for some reason.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:34 am

version sound wrote:Dude, I bought it when it was new. It was the record that ended me considering myself a U2 fan. I don't think you've listened to it in 20 years. There is nothing post-punk about "Even Better Than The Real Thing", "One", "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", or "Mysterious Ways". Those songs are all FM radio fodder. The other, admittedly more interesting, songs sound like U2 trying to ape the stuff that had been recently popular in the UK, from Madchester to shoegaze. They pretty much failed on adapting those styles.

I don't disagree with any of that (especially the parts about them trying to go for stuff that was popular in the UK then; it's all over that record). I just enjoy it more than you do but yeah it has been a long time since I've played it and I go for the '80s stuff way more. My favorite song on there might be "So Cruel" and I don't think it fits into either of those categories, though.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:55 am

gregpolard wrote:U2 is a band people love to hate, for some reason.

I dunno, being pompous asses who generate boring, homogenized arena rock seems like good enough reasons.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:59 am

scannest wrote:

I dunno, being pompous asses who generate boring, homogenized arena rock seems like good enough reasons.

I think there's wayyyy worse bands out there than U2 though, and they seem to get a lot of hate from people who I'd think would like them.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 am

gregpolard wrote:I think there's wayyyy worse bands out there than U2 though, and they seem to get a lot of hate from people who I'd think would like them.

I mean sure, there's Nickelback. I guess I'd go as far as saying they're not as bad as Nickelback.

On second thought, I don't know enough about Nickelback to say that.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:04 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

I think there's wayyyy worse bands out there than U2 though, and they seem to get a lot of hate from people who I'd think would like them.

There's way worse bands that people trip over themselves to praise on this very board. Sal, don't you love The Foo Fighters?

Yes, Bono is insufferable, but he always has been. I guess that's going to (understandably) invite hatred.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:06 am

I would think you'd at least be a fan of the first couple records, Sal.

And VS is hitting the nail on the head, too. I just feel like a lot of the people that hate on U2 will then praise, say Kanye West who is a way more of a pompous asshole than Bono and is hailed as a genius.

Let's face it: It's cool to hate U2 for those of us "outside the mainstream".
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:11 am

gregpolard wrote:Let's face it: It's cool to hate U2 for those of us "outside the mainstream".

Undoubtedly. I posted about the record on a board much more hipstery than this one and got nothing but venom. Zero objectivity. I would bet most of the posters hadn't even listened to the record. Those same people suck the dicks of bands like Radiohead and Modest Mouse, who are way more tedious than U2 at their worst, IMO.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:14 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Let's face it: It's cool to hate U2 for those of us "outside the mainstream".

Undoubtedly. I posted about the record on a board much more hipstery than this one and got nothing but venom. Zero objectivity. I would bet most of the posters hadn't even listened to the record. Those same people suck the dicks of bands like Radiohead and Modest Mouse, who are way more tedious than U2 at their worst, IMO.

Yup. I'm a 33 year old man. I could give a fuck about what's cool. I honeslty listen to something and if it sounds good to my ears, awesome. If not, I move on. I'm amazed when I post a picture of a record on Instagram/FB and just get a bunch of hate. When people post stuff I don't like...I just take the 0.0000000003 seconds and flip past it.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:24 am

version sound wrote:

i hate all those bands with the same amount of fury and passion!
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am

I actually like a lot of Radiohead, but their fans are THEE WORST. Radiohead seems to be the biggest gateway to becoming a hipster music snob dick.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 am

yourenotevil wrote:it's getting as much play as the new moz record in my house.

We should have a Moz/U2 not-listening party. I'll not-bring the drinks if you'll not-bring the records.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 am

scannest wrote:

You're invited too. Be sure to not-bring some snacks.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:56 am

version sound wrote:I actually like a lot of Radiohead, but their fans are THEE WORST. Radiohead seems to be the biggest gateway to becoming a hipster music snob dick.

i guess i can't say i know what most radiohead fans are like. 10 years ago it seemed like everyone was into them but i think that was the last time i hung out with people that dug them.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:57 am

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:I actually like a lot of Radiohead, but their fans are THEE WORST. Radiohead seems to be the biggest gateway to becoming a hipster music snob dick.

i guess i can't say i know what most radiohead fans are like. 10 years ago it seemed like everyone was into them but i think that was the last time i hung out with people that dug them.

That opinion is based mostly on people I interact with online, though I know some friends of friends who fit in the category.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:58 am

yourenotevil wrote:

i guess i can't say i know what most radiohead fans are like. 10 years ago it seemed like everyone was into them but i think that was the last time i hung out with anyone as i usually just angrily masturbate at home in the dark.

Fixed.
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:06 am

I can't imagine U2 suddenly got interesting again 30 years after their last listenable record, but I've been wrong before.

Also, I would 100% un-ironically rather listen to only Nickelback for the rest of my life, than anything by Radiohead...navel-gazing, meandering bullshit.
jaybird

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i guess i can't say i know what most radiohead fans are like. 10 years ago it seemed like everyone was into them but i think that was the last time i hung out with anyone as i usually masturbate bitterly on the front porch while the wife's away.

Fixed.

More fixed
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i guess i can't say i know what most radiohead fans are like. 10 years ago it seemed like everyone was into them but i think that was the last time i hung out with anyone as i usually just angrily masturbate at home in the dark.

Fixed.

how could i find my cumrag with the lights off? shows what you know.
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:13 am

Haven't heard it or anything else U2 has done in years. I had a housemate about 10 years ago that would play some of their contemporary stuff at the time and wow, was it awful. "Stuck in a Moment" ? Yuck.

At any rate, for anyone that wrote the band off entirely, I would say check out Boy. I bought it a few years back, and was surprised at how good it was. It's basically an 80s post-punk/college rock record. I wouldn't say it's quite on the level with other heavy hitters from the time, but it's damn good.
patient_ot

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:14 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i guess i can't say i know what most radiohead fans are like. 10 years ago it seemed like everyone was into them but i think that was the last time i hung out with anyone as i usually masturbate bitterly on the front porch while the wife's away.

Fixed.

More fixed

i don't have a front porch or a wife. you guys are starting to creep me out.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 am

Everything through Joshua Tree is great. Even as a PUNK ROCK ONLY kid, I made time for early U2.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:16 am

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Fixed.

More fixed

DAG TAGS REVOKED.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:22 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Fixed.

More fixed

DAG TAGS REVOKED.

this is one demotion i can live with.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:25 am

Are you really not getting the Field Day reference, or are you just playing dumb?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:26 am

So, you guys are using sweeping generalizations of U2 Haters as an argument against their hatred? NOT your most cogent argument ever, VS.

And since you brought up the Foo Fighters as a comparison point, I'll state that they have more good-to-great guitar riffage on their last album than the Edge has mustered in the past 20 years. And that's an important enough distinction to me. And while Grohl is quickly wearing out his welcome, he isn't close to the egomanical douchebag that is Bono. Grohl's more the genial party guest who doesn't know when to leave.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 am

version sound wrote:Are you really not getting the Field Day reference, or are you just playing dumb?

this really will get me banned-i had to look it up. honestly i hate that album and really gave up digging around for fun facts about them after their first album or so.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:34 am

scannest wrote:And since you brought up the Foo Fighters as a comparison point, I'll state that they have more good-to-great guitar riffage on their last album than the Edge has mustered in the past 20 years. And that's an important enough distinction to me. And while Grohl is quickly wearing out his welcome, he isn't close to the egomanical douchebag that is Bono. Grohl's more the genial party guest who doesn't know when to leave.

Have you listened to the record? If not, then I don't see how you can pass judgement on it.

As for Grohl vs. Bono, I agree, but what's that got to do with the music? I'd still rather listen to even the worst U2 than the Foo Fighters. They very well might have "better riffs", but that doesn't mean much to me. I've never been a big riff guy. The Foo Fighters are fine, but boring. It's more interesting to hear U2 fail than to hear the Foo Fighters succeed in writing another boring rock song.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 am

FWIW, I love Foo Fighters too. Can't wait to hear the new one (I preordered the iTunes version)
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 am

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:And since you brought up the Foo Fighters as a comparison point, I'll state that they have more good-to-great guitar riffage on their last album than the Edge has mustered in the past 20 years. And that's an important enough distinction to me. And while Grohl is quickly wearing out his welcome, he isn't close to the egomanical douchebag that is Bono. Grohl's more the genial party guest who doesn't know when to leave.

Have you listened to the record? If not, then I don't see how you can pass judgement on it.

As for Grohl vs. Bono, I agree, but what's that got to do with the music? I'd still rather listen to even the worst U2 than the Foo Fighters. They very well might have "better riffs", but that doesn't mean much to me. I've never been a big riff guy. The Foo Fighters are fine, but boring. It's more interesting to hear U2 fail than to hear the Foo Fighters succeed in writing another boring rock song.

this sounds like a roadtrip with greg picking the music.
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:43 am

yourenotevil wrote:this sounds like a roadtrip with greg picking the music.

Hey, VS brought them up.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:45 am

version sound wrote:Have you listened to the record? If not, then I don't see how you can pass judgement on it.

C'mon! You are so much smarter than that. Why resort to the lamest counter-argument ever?!
I mean, I've never eaten poop either but I am confident in my assumption that I wouldn't enjoy it.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:50 am

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Have you listened to the record? If not, then I don't see how you can pass judgement on it.

C'mon! You are so much smarter than that. Why resort to the lamest counter-argument ever?!
I mean, I've never eaten poop either but I am confident in my assumption that I wouldn't enjoy it.

Is that supposed to be ironic? Your second sentence is the argument of every loudmouth on the internet who wants to talk shit about things he's never experienced.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:01 pm

version sound wrote:Is that supposed to be ironic? Your second sentence is the argument of every loudmouth on the internet who wants to talk shit about things he's never experienced.

Okay, fine...I've listened to enough U2 in the past to be confident in my assumption that I will not like their new album.
(BTW, I looked to see if it was on Spotify at lunch, but no dice. When's the last time you listened to a Foo Fighters record?)
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:08 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Is that supposed to be ironic? Your second sentence is the argument of every loudmouth on the internet who wants to talk shit about things he's never experienced.

Okay, fine...I've listened to enough U2 in the past to be confident in my assumption that I will not like their new album.
(BTW, I looked to see if it was on Spotify at lunch, but no dice. When's the last time you listened to a Foo Fighters record?)

The whole thing? It's been a while. I like them well enough. I'm not saying they're bad by any stretch of the imagination, they are just a little too "modern rock" for my tastes. I actually like U2 (or have historically) and haven't been too thrilled by anything they've done since the '80s. If you've never liked U2, no, this record probably won't change your opinion, but if you liked them at one point you might enjoy it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:17 pm

version sound wrote:

Uh, no. Radiohead at their worst have never put out something as tedious as the new U2 record, at least IMO. Maybe they're a bad example since they have a pretty consistent discography, especially after Pablo Honey (which I like, too). I do agree (obviously) that there are way worse bands than U2, though.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:26 pm

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Let me be clear here. I like '80s U2. I even like some of the '90s and '00s stuff, though not much of what I've heard of it. I wanted to like this new album and gave it a listen. I didn't dig it, so I'm not a "hater" but just giving my honest opinion. I can go into the reasons why it didn't click with me, but I just wanted to clarify my position here.

And I like what I've heard of the 1st 2-3 Foo Fighters records, too, but not the recent stuff.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:32 pm

You jumped to slam it pretty quickly. So...one listen? A half listen? I honestly don't understand the complaints coming from the people who actually like some version of U2. I've been pretty meh on a lot of their output past Rattle and Hum, but I find this record very enjoyable.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm with VS. To complain about the production of a U2 record when the whole point is to sound "larger than life" as it were, I dunno.....

I don't really see the problem w/ the lyrics most people are seeing too. Maybe it hit me at the right time but the song about his mom is really nice. And I like that it seems like they're tipping their hat to various influences throughout.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Bono has never been a lyrical genius, it's just one more thing for people to complain about. Bono mixed too high? He's the singer. This isn't My Bloody Valentine. Edge too low? I have no problem hearing him loud and clear.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:45 pm

version sound wrote:You jumped to slam it pretty quickly. So...one listen? A half listen? I honestly don't understand the complaints coming from the people who actually like some version of U2. I've been pretty meh on a lot of their output past Rattle and Hum, but I find this record very enjoyable.

One full listen. After about 4-5 songs that I thought were decent, I struggled to make it through the rest of the thing without switching to something else. I listed the reasons on FB.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:46 pm

version sound wrote:Bono has never been a lyrical genius, it's just one more thing for people to complain about. Bono mixed too high? He's the singer. This isn't My Bloody Valentine. Edge too low? I have no problem hearing him loud and clear.

It's not just The Edge who is mixed too low. The entire band is barely there. It feels like a Bono solo album. And he used to come up with great riffs (there is that word again), cool sound, etc. but now it feels like aural wallpaper.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm with VS. To complain about the production of a U2 record when the whole point is to sound "larger than life" as it were, I dunno.....

I don't really see the problem w/ the lyrics most people are seeing too. Maybe it hit me at the right time but the song about his mom is really nice. And I like that it seems like they're tipping their hat to various influences throughout.

I didn't mind the lyrics, either. This is not one of the issues I have with this record. At all.
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse