Anyone besides MXV make it to Riotfest Chicago?

Anyone besides MXV make it to Riotfest Chicago?

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:37 am

GI had a great time playing w/Flatfoot 56 @ after party gig, Double Doors.9/11With Brian Gay & John Leanord in the crowd, we could've had a GI bass-off ;) Surprise guest yelling "You still got the pipes :!: " at me .... Springa of SSD. Drive like Jehu played down the street at another club. Would've been nice to see them but GI rocked the stage at the very same time so I was a bit occupied.

Next day, the meowists went to the big outdoor fest I would call Mudfest due to the deep muddy terrain we wore our dressier shoes to. Got there in time to hear Swervedriver playing in distance, saw a bit of GWAR (w/o Dave Brockie, just seems the fun has been taken outta the Viking sails) from distance. Made our way up to Main stage (Springa at the very front, again) to see THE DAMNED. The stage next to theirs had Milencolin playing and we dubbed them "Bad Religion-Lite". Definitely less-filling. Fantastic set by Sensible and the fellas. Dave Vanian (not only shaved his little 'stache off so he didn't resemble a "gay french cat burglar" :mrgreen: ) but donned white powder on face and was enjoying himself up there. MXV was busily shooting ace photos of the group. After fighting our way through the front mud, we roamed around backstage looking for our buddy/Damned bassist, Stu West. It was cool to run into a few folks wearing a brand new GI shirt who had nice things to offer about our set. Then we ran into Pierre Kedzy's wife and their 2 kids, and *frustratingly* tried to find friends Jake Burns (SLF) & wife Shirley Sexton. After forging our way all the way across the other end of mudstock to Riot Stage - we found them. Also Vanian who I finally had to meet and tell him we were friends with his bassist, Stu. He was very nice but can see the guy's shy. And Eric Spicer (N/R) all holding court at the Guest Beer Bar. Apparently (as Pierre's wife noted) "If Eric's at the beer bar, you''ll never drag him away". As we talked who do you think walked past us :?: None other than Steve Ignorant (CRASS) who was there for 2 gigs (a talking gig w/Rollins, Thurston, and Damien about WM3 that we unfortunately missed) & a musical performance w/his new band, Steve Ignorant & the ?

(more later)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Return to daghouse