Mark E. Smith RIP

Mark E. Smith RIP

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Mark E. Smith RIP

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 am

didnt he beat up his women?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:didnt he beat up his women?

He did; not a great person by any stretch of the imagination, but a brilliant lyricist/frontman/mad genius IMO.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm

JGJR wrote:

He did; not a great person by any stretch .

fuck em
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

fuck em

Harsh; one of my favorite artists ever, just so you know.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

fuck em

I know. I never "got" him. Typically I would have not have said that. But I also said fuck GG when he died and I liked him. he was pretty offensive and violent to women who encouraged it. Did Mark's women encourage it?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

fuck em

I know. I never "got" him. Typically I would have not have said that. But I also said fuck GG when he died and I liked him. he was pretty offensive and violent to women who encouraged it. Did Mark's women encourage it?

I read Brix's book (which paints him in a complicated and ultimately very sad way) and she made a statement yesterday.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... th-w515888
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

I had absolutely zero clue what he was trying to do with his music. It made no sense to me at all. One time, when I was interning to be a DJ at WSIA, the Jock who's show I had to sit in on, she played the 12" of 'Mr. Pharmacist' which I thought was an OK song. I immediately thought that The Fall was like some kind of Lux Interior association. I tried listening to other music but none of it made any sense to me. It did not resonate with my body or mind. I was too deep into SWANS, Black Flag, Metal, extreme noise and shit like that. C'est la vie.

PS; She also played 12"s by Executive Slacks with long tape loops. Outlandish noise and I loved that shit, so go figure. I'm a mess.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Not familiar with band, "heard of them, haven't heard them". The statement written by ex-wife seems like Stockholm Syndrome-ish. Dude sounds dodgy as fuck. The amount of material written and band members he abandoned along the way is staggering. He was no Christie Front Drive, that is for sure.
FlexMyHead

Postby Beach Log » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Please redo this thread but make it about Doug E. Fresh.
Beach Log

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Beach Log wrote:Please redo this thread but make it about Doug E. Fresh.

Is that the guy that's trying to hock his cheesy faux Brit writing skills on this board? Forget it. He's just as unreliable as Michael Kors or Uggs boots. In fact, I'm going to write them a nasty gram right now and give them a stern written finger waggin for wasting my time.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Not familiar with band, "heard of them, haven't heard them". The statement written by ex-wife seems like Stockholm Syndrome-ish. Dude sounds dodgy as fuck. The amount of material written and band members he abandoned along the way is staggering. He was no Christie Front Drive, that is for sure.

You should read her book. She doesn't gloss over things.
JGJR

Postby XBambi's RevengeX » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:03 pm

I saw them once. Played for about 25-30 mins with MES constantly going on and off stage (snorting lines probably), until he eventually didn't come back. His missus (on keys) was wearing her large overcoat and comically oversized handbag the entire gig, in anticipation of having to run after him (which she did, at the end, and convinced him to play one last song). I'm pretty sure his willy was flapping out of its pocket for a period of the evening too.

7/10 gig, also notable for my first time experiencing mushrooms
XBambi's RevengeX

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

JGJR wrote:

Well, I read her short statement about his death. Tell me if this basically sums up the book:

BEING MARRIED TO MARK e SMITH is a condition that causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity. These feelings, resulting from a bond formed between captor and captives during intimate time spent together, are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims. Generally speaking, BEING MARRIED TO MARK e SMITH consists of "strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:03 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Well, I read her short statement about his death. Tell me if this basically sums up the book:

BEING MARRIED TO MARK e SMITH is a condition that causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity. These feelings, resulting from a bond formed between captor and captives during intimate time spent together, are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims. Generally speaking, BEING MARRIED TO MARK e SMITH consists of "strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other

Just read it and then get back to me. It's much more complex than what you're suggesting, but yes of course was large elements of that at work.
JGJR

Return to daghouse