UPCOMING SHOWS!

Re: UPCOMING SHOWS!

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:31 am

lewdd wrote:
drew wrote:Just booked Jazz Fest in New Orleans.

10/8-10.

Crazy lineup of big stars, fest- circuit regulars and Nola acts.

Tons of stuff my wife likes and some I dig. i.e. Stevie Nicks. Lol.
We’re going with a group of friends and got passes that we can come & go all day.

Nice way to spend Columbus Day weekend.
https://www.nojazzfest.com/music/

That sounds like fun. I started a brief music history site seeing to do list for New Orleans. I need to firm up the to do list into an itinerary and figure out a cool temp time of year to visit there again.

I grew up near there. Your best bet is October- March. Trust me on this. I haven't been there in over a decade and regrettably didn't see Fats Domino's house (got a photo taken with his statue in the French Quarter, though), the place Johnny Thunders died, etc. Next time.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:58 am

Yeah, I went in July once and it was brutal. Big, fat, light skinned guy does not go well with sunny, hot, and humid weather.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:46 am

lewdd wrote:Yeah, I went in July once and it was brutal. Big, fat, light skinned guy does not go well with sunny, hot, and humid weather.

Preach; I don't do well in this weather. I know you're talking about NoLA, but New York can be just as hot/humid this time of year.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:10 pm

I just got a ticket for CLEM SNIDE at City Winery Loft on August 8th - although I very much suspect it is a Eef Barzelay solo show.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Dusting off my vocal pipes for a One Up show (first in 11 years) in Pittston, PA (near Scranton/Wilkes) on 10/23 with a bunch of rad HC bands.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:48 pm

scannest wrote:I just got a ticket for CLEM SNIDE at City Winery Loft on August 8th - although I very much suspect it is a Eef Barzelay solo show.

I love this EP and bought it as a gift for my wife recently.

https://eefbarzelay-clemsnide.bandcamp. ... es-journey

I can't say I've ever knowingly heard a note of his own music, though.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:10 pm

JGJR wrote:I can't say I've ever knowingly heard a note of his own music, though.

For a while there Clem Snide was like Wilco's snotty, sarcastic younger brother. Check out THE GHOST OF FASHION.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I can't say I've ever knowingly heard a note of his own music, though.

For a while there Clem Snide was like Wilco's snotty, sarcastic younger brother. Check out THE GHOST OF FASHION.

Thanks; it just occurred to me that we have this one in the collection. I remember playing it once and not being too impressed, but it wasn't bad or anything. I'll check out the one you recommended.

https://www.discogs.com/Clem-Snide-Hung ... se/2095749
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:42 pm

CHEAP TRICK at the Orange County Fairgrounds Speedway (Middletown, NY) on September 5th.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:51 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:

Thanks; it just occurred to me that we have this one in the collection. I remember playing it once and not being too impressed, but it wasn't bad or anything. I'll check out the one you recommended.

The Royal "We"?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:04 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:

The Royal "We"?

We as in the NOFX song "Two Jealous Agains"
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:52 pm

NEW TIX:

Wyldlife at TV Eye 8/21

Mac McCaughan at Union Pool 9/28

Frankie and the Witch Fingers at Bowery Ballroom 10/16
scannest

Postby lewdd » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:09 pm

Any of you NYers going to see the Descendents in a few weeks?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:33 am

lewdd wrote:Any of you NYers going to see the Descendents in a few weeks?

I'll be out of town.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:58 am

scannest wrote:

I'll be out of town.

Is that when you will be doing the JGJR interview questions with John Doe?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:33 am

I went back and forth internally about that Dents show on 8/1.

For several reasons, I'm bowing out this time. I'm assuming that they will be touring again in the next few months to a year as headliners.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:39 am

gregpolard wrote:I went back and forth internally about that Dents show on 8/1.

For several reasons, I'm bowing out this time. I'm assuming that they will be touring again in the next few months to a year as headliners.

I'm guessing it will not be until 2022 at the earliest before they come back to Philly. I'm heading down on Friday and coming home on Monday - siteseeing, breweries, art museum, cheesesteaks, record stores.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 am

lewdd wrote:Is that when you will be doing the JGJR interview questions with John Doe?

Exactly. Along with touring all the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood locations I can hit. Well, at least the restaurants.
scannest

Postby drew » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am

I’m going. It’s a new venue which is a ferry ride and less than 10 minute walk. Might as well be in my backyard
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:51 pm

drew wrote:

I’m going. It’s a new venue which is a ferry ride and less than 10 minute walk. Might as well be in my backyard

I'm a maybe at this point; didn't expect to be able to, but now it's a possibility. I hope to see you there, drew! Oh and I saw SAVAK play outside 18th Ward Brewery in Williamsburg last Sunday. They were fantastic as always.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Tickets for CHEAP TRICK at Irving Plaza 9/24 secured.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm

scannest wrote:Tickets for CHEAP TRICK at Irving Plaza 9/24 secured.

I saw they're opening up for the Goo Goo Dolls on some date.
gregpolard

Postby drew » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

I'm a maybe at this point; didn't expect to be able to, but now it's a possibility. I hope to see you there, drew! Oh and I saw SAVAK play outside 18th Ward Brewery in Williamsburg last Sunday. They were fantastic as always.

Very cool, hope you're there. Savak are so great. I'd love to see them again soon.
drew

Postby lewdd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:05 pm

Anyone going to see the Rolling Stones tour?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 am

lewdd wrote:Anyone going to see the Rolling Stones tour?

The closest they're coming to NYC is Pittsburgh, which isn't very close at all.
They are just about the only major band of mine that I've never seen. If I was to go at this point, it would be strictly to cross them off that list. And FWIW, I have a friend 'in the know' who claims that Keith's arthritis is really bad and he is basically miming at these shows the last couple years - barely in the mix and Ronnie is doing all the heavy lifting.
scannest

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:07 am

DIRTY NIL at The Knitting Factory Brooklyn on December 10th.
God, I love this band.

scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Very cool, hope you're there. Savak are so great. I'd love to see them again soon.

They're playing in Brooklyn on 8/6 at a place I haven't been to called Mama Tried.

https://www.ohmyrockness.com/shows/3726 ... mama-tried

I don't think they have any other shows scheduled rn, but not sure.

Descendents - if I go, it'll likely be Asbury, but not sure about anything yet at this point; couldn't get into the NYC show and I underestimated how full it would be, etc. Long story. I do wish I was going to the one here. Super easy for me; just take the 4 all the way to Wall St or Bowling Green and walk about 15 minutes. I love Asbury, but getting there from here involves taking the D to Penn Station and then the Long Branch (NJ coast line, I think) line on NJT or renting a car for the day.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm

So, I went to see these guitar players (William Tyler and Steve Gunn) at a club last night. Everyone attending had to show proof of vaccination to enter. All of the employees were fully vaxxed, as were the performers. This morning William Tyler posted on Twitter the he tested positive today for Covid, despite being fully vaxxed, following CDC guidelines, etc. Then the club emailed everyone who attended with the news.
Here's the thing - there are people (including my sister) who are freaked out. She is going to get tested, is wondering if she should self-quarantine, etc. The way I see it - New York's positivity rate has been hovering around 1.5%. Of that, a small fraction are fully vaxxed people, but let's round up and call it 1% of the positive cases. If my math is correct, that would be 1% of 1.5%. If there were 300 people there, doesn't that come to something like...less than a half a person likelihood?
Question - would you be concerned and would this change your behavior? The way I see it, I had an equally likely (if not greater) chance of getting into a car accident on my way home, but that wouldn't stop me from driving (I took the subway, but you get the point).
What do my fellow concert goers think?
scannest

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:00 pm

scannest wrote:So, I went to see these guitar players (William Tyler and Steve Gunn) at a club last night. Everyone attending had to show proof of vaccination to enter. All of the employees were fully vaxxed, as were the performers. This morning William Tyler posted on Twitter the he tested positive today for Covid, despite being fully vaxxed, following CDC guidelines, etc. Then the club emailed everyone who attended with the news.
Here's the thing - there are people (including my sister) who are freaked out. She is going to get tested, is wondering if she should self-quarantine, etc. The way I see it - New York's positivity rate has been hovering around 1.5%. Of that, a small fraction are fully vaxxed people, but let's round up and call it 1% of the positive cases. If my math is correct, that would be 1% of 1.5%. If there were 300 people there, doesn't that come to something like...less than a half a person likelihood?
Question - would you be concerned and would this change your behavior? The way I see it, I had an equally likely (if not greater) chance of getting into a car accident on my way home, but that wouldn't stop me from driving (I took the subway, but you get the point).

Because of that, I wouldn't worry at all.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:16 pm

scannest wrote:So, I went to see these guitar players (William Tyler and Steve Gunn) at a club last night. Everyone attending had to show proof of vaccination to enter. All of the employees were fully vaxxed, as were the performers. This morning William Tyler posted on Twitter the he tested positive today for Covid, despite being fully vaxxed, following CDC guidelines, etc. Then the club emailed everyone who attended with the news.

Man, I keep going back and forth on this. All I know is that this new variant is brutal apparently. Even if you're vaccinated. I would say just get tested if you can but probably nothing to worry about.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:15 pm

So, last night, I checked tix for the Pittsburgh show and they were in the $300 range for field seats/section. They are close to $2000 today. So, I am not planning on going. I would have considered $300. Snoozed and I lost.
lewdd

Postby garth » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Strike Anywhere in Charleston 10/29
garth

Postby drew » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:29 am

I was good all thru COVID but ever since I got vaxxed, which was very early on because of my job, I def have eased up. Basically we go everywhere and do whatever we want now and I’m going to keep it up. If the rates really go up we’ll do the right thing and hunker down again.
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 am

So it looks like I'll be at the Asbury Descendents show. Is anyone else here in the NYC area going? I'd love to road trip it with one of you if so to avoid taking the trains. I can't provide ass as I'm taken, but gas/grass can be arranged for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers and thanks.
JGJR

Postby kel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 am

scannest wrote:Everyone attending had to show proof of vaccination to enter. All of the employees were fully vaxxed, as were the performers. This morning William Tyler posted on Twitter the he tested positive today for Covid, despite being fully vaxxed, following CDC guidelines, etc...

One person tests positive in a crowd of 300? Could be false, could be asymptomatic (not 'broadcasting' as much, etc.), probably didn't make contact / get in this person's bubble anyway?

Your chances of getting some cooties on you if you're washing your hands and not being literally being sneezed on or french kissed are reasonably low.
Your odds of actually getting infected are pretty low.
Your chances of having really bad outcome if you do catch it is really low whether you're vaccinated or not.

That said, I got COVID early on in the whole thing before all the he-said-she-said-controversy. I was correctly wearing masks, nitrile gloves, being very cautious, super limited exposure to people in general, etc.

I donate blood routinely with the Red Cross, which had been doing antibody tests when you give, and have multiple tests showing I'm good for strong antibodies (nature's own organic vax!) that have lasted since November 2020.

I fly routinely again, and places like Hawaii have required negative tests, so I pop by and get tested every now and then when I'm going there - always negative, haven't had a false pos yet, thankfully - so I won't worry.

So, yeah, I'd go to a concert.

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
--Yoda
kel

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am

I predict 2 more months before they start cancelling indoor shows again.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:29 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I predict 2 more months before they start cancelling indoor shows again.

Yep. Things are swooping up again. Mainly because of dipshits.
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:56 pm

Acoustic BIG STAR Tribute thingy in Brooklyn, November 7th.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I predict 2 more months before they start cancelling indoor shows again.

The Delta is the new Darwin. heh heh.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pm

A Flock of Seagulls w/Men Without Hats-10/11-Big Night Live Boston

Scannest-disappointing to hear that about Keith. I saw a show on the Steel Wheels tour so I'm good. But maybe he should hang it up? Glenn Tipton did when he had similar issues-just sayin :D
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:16 pm

FormerLurker wrote:

100%

"I wish I could take you and shake you and smack the blindness from your beady little eyes." Funny how Ian's words from 35+ years ago still resonate today...
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:56 pm

DREAM SYNDICATE at Brooklyn Made, December 4th.
scannest

Postby pedro » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 pm

scannest wrote:DREAM SYNDICATE at Brooklyn Made, December 4th.

I had no idea there was a version of Dream Syndicate playing in 2021. Is this just Steve and a bunch of randoms?
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:16 pm

pedro wrote:

I had no idea there was a version of Dream Syndicate playing in 2021. Is this just Steve and a bunch of randoms?

No, it's Steve and Dennis Duck. And their lead guitarist is my buddy Jason, so be nice! They've put out 3 records since 2017.
scannest

Postby drew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 pm

JGJR wrote:So it looks like I'll be at the Asbury Descendents show. Is anyone else here in the NYC area going? I'd love to road trip it with one of you if so to avoid taking the trains. I can't provide ass as I'm taken, but gas/grass can be arranged for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers and thanks.

I’m going Friday night but I’ll be in Asbury all day Saturday with friends hanging on the beach and then who knows where?

Gonna see all the folks arriving for the show and going to want to go again.....lol
drew

Postby drew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:31 pm

scannest wrote:
pedro wrote:

No, it's Steve and Dennis Duck. And their lead guitarist is my buddy Jason, so be nice! They've put out 3 records since 2017.

Three great records. The Universe Inside, I think is their best album.
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:So it looks like I'll be at the Asbury Descendents show. Is anyone else here in the NYC area going? I'd love to road trip it with one of you if so to avoid taking the trains. I can't provide ass as I'm taken, but gas/grass can be arranged for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers and thanks.

I’m going Friday night but I’ll be in Asbury all day Saturday with friends hanging on the beach and then who knows where?

Gonna see all the folks arriving for the show and going to want to go again.....lol

See you there?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:59 am

Descendents brought it so hard last night; I wish they'd kept playing for an hour. That almost never happens. RA, well, it was super crowded, they could probably headline the Garden or Wells Fargo at this point judging by the size of the crowd and the reaction, but they do absolutely nothing for me (never knowingly even heard them before aside from the new single tbh). Maybe I'm just old? I dunno.

But regardless, it occurred to me that I have seen almost every Descendents performance in NJ since 1996 and since 1993 if you count the one-off ALL show with Milo at City Gardens and that includes the headlining PRB slot at the same venue (outdoor stage at Stone Pony, where they played last night) in 2016, a 2017 show in Sayreville (Starland Ballroom), '96 at the Pony inside and '97 on the Warped Tour side-stage between the main venue and the outdoor stage (also at the Pony). I think the only one I missed was in 2002 or 2004 as part of some snowboarding or surfing tour or something.

I got to chat briefly with both Milo and then Stephen, where we mostly talked about his Best Show shirt and Sharpling/Wurster. I said hi to Bill in the parking lot on my way out, but I don't think he heard me. Who knows if Milo remembered me from when I interviewed him and Bill in 2016, but he was a trooper for just getting offstage and by his own admission needing/wanting a shower (I just bumped into him randomly; they happened to be hanging out) and very polite. It was nice to run into Brian from Night Birds there as well. BB was there as well, but I was too intimidated to say anything to him tbh. He had a very funny Biden shirt. I wanted to take a pic.

https://spaceboyclothing.ecwid.com/BIDE ... p255079880
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:59 pm

Thanks for the update JGJR-the t-shirt made me laugh! :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 am

Descendents were awesome in Philly despite Milo's voice having some issues as it was his third night in a row singing. Several songs from the new album. "Nightage" was great, but all of them were too.

11th time I have seen them now.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/descende ... f041f.html
lewdd

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse