Let's talk about The Jesus & Mary Chain

Let's talk about The Jesus & Mary Chain

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:32 am

So the core of my Echo & the Bunnymen tribute band has branched off into doing a JAMC tribute as well.... I've always been a big fan of Psychocandy and Darklands since the 80s, sorta lost interest after Automatic and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them until having to learn some of their later material for this new set.... as always, they have deceptively simple three chord songs, but some really killer harmonies and serious brainworm hooks.

This one from '94 was new to me... I never realized that Jim Reid and Hope Sandoval were a thing. Lucky bastard:

What other albums are worth tracking down?
jaybird

Re: Let's talk about The Jesus & Mary Chain

Postby patient_ot » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:03 pm

Like a lot of other people I lean heavily towards the first two albums. Automatic, in retrospect, is better than I used to think. That said I think Honey's Dead is their third best overall. Stoned and Dethroned is decent, but not a patch on the earlier albums. An enjoyable listen if you are a fan. After that I get off the train. Only 2 more albums anyway. The reunion one didn't grab me whatsoever. Munki I may revisit at some point.

If you like the early stuff you'll want to get the Barbed Wire Kisses B-Sides comp as well. There is a 1 disc and 2 disc version with the latter being more complete. I think there was a 4xCD box of b-sides at one point but that might be overkill for most people.

My 2 cents...
patient_ot

Postby kel » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Yeah, always thought they did "simple" stuff that sounded bigger than should be. Every now and then I'll pop open Logic recording software, lay down a little Vox-amped three-chord jangle, Ampeg 60's bass that pretty much one-string-follows the guitar chords, and a track of reverb-soaked heavy drums, and wonder why - if that's all there is to it - it doesn't sound as good as JAMC. :D

Never Understand was my initiation to these guys, April Skies has that lush+clean, and Just Like Honey remains classic. Even when Scarlett Johansson butchers the backup vocals at Coachella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdC8L31tHro

They need to add Bill Murray back into the Scarlett mix in Tokyo to do it right.
kel

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:18 pm

patient_ot wrote:Stoned and Dethroned is decent, but not a patch on the earlier albums.

Gave this one a full listen on the 'tubes today, given that's the record with the Hope Sandoval tune, and was hoping there'd be more of her on there, but still pretty solid... reminds me of Darklands but with a more alt-Country/American blues-y feel I guess. Or like a lost early 70s Stones record or something. Dig.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:57 pm

jaybird wrote:So the core of my Echo & the Bunnymen tribute band has branched off into doing a JAMC tribute as well.... I've always been a big fan of Psychocandy and Darklands since the 80s, sorta lost interest after Automatic and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them until having to learn some of their later material for this new set.... as always, they have deceptively simple three chord songs, but some really killer harmonies and serious brainworm hooks.

This one from '94 was new to me... I never realized that Jim Reid and Hope Sandoval were a thing. Lucky bastard:

What other albums are worth tracking down?

Don't quote me on this because I'm going from memory here, but I thought it was actually Jim's brother William who was in a relationship with Hope Sandoval in the mid '90s.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan. Automatic is my favorite, but I lean heavily towards the 1st 3 and the singles from that era like many other folks. That said, I don't think they have a bad album or anything close to it n their entire catalog. I also REALLY dug Damage and Joy, but it seems like it went under the radar for lots of folks or was just underappreciated.

patient_ot, I agree that Barbed Wire Kisses is pretty much essential and a great collection and that B-sides box set you mentioned is called The Power of Negative Thinking.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:50 pm

I finally got around to listening to the newest JAMC record, and as usual, I enjoyed the hell out of it. For some reason, they aren’t a band that I tend to think of when I think of my favorite bands, but I like literally every single song I’ve ever heard by them, and I’ve not only heard all the albums (now that I’ve caught up with the latest one), but I’ve gone balls deep into b-sides and outtakes. I think I’m going to have to revise my all time Top 10 bands. Maybe Top 5…
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:21 pm

Legendary 1 st show in Berlin. Totally sold out. They were drunk, had 20 minutes of feedback, went off the stage and never came back.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:26 pm

Knutsen wrote:Legendary 1 st show in Berlin. Totally sold out. They were drunk, had 20 minutes of feedback, went off the stage and never came back.

I tried to talk my bandmates into doing that sort of thing for our first show at a house party a couple weeks ago. They insisted we actually learn to play the songs :lol:
jaybird

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:54 pm

jaybird wrote:
Knutsen wrote:Legendary 1 st show in Berlin. Totally sold out. They were drunk, had 20 minutes of feedback, went off the stage and never came back.

I tried to talk my bandmates into doing that sort of thing for our first show at a house party a couple weeks ago. They insisted we actually learn to play the songs :lol:

You play in a band again? Cool!
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:07 am

Knutsen wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Can't tell if this is sincere, or a really dry German insult... kinda hope it's the second. :lol:
jaybird

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:02 am

jaybird wrote:
Knutsen wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Can't tell if this is sincere, or a really dry German insult... kinda hope it's the second. :lol:

No, I was sincere. :oops:
Knutsen

Return to daghouse