Daghouse Archive Forum Index Daghouse Archive
To access the current board, go to: www.daghouse.com/board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cock Sparrer 2012 tour dates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthdog70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Cock Sparrer 2012 tour dates Reply with quote

If anyone wants to rock out on this weekend in May, let me know Idea

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/02/cock_sparrer_ad.html

lewdd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are going. They rocked Riot Fest 2x a few years ago.
earthdog70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep-getting tickets today. A bit pricey at $30, but I'm sure to bring them over and house them is not cheap either Exclamation
JGJR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdog70 wrote:
Yep-getting tickets today. A bit pricey at $30, but I'm sure to bring them over and house them is not cheap either Exclamation

I have a friend who's traveled with them in the past (not sure in what capacity; tour manager, sound, something else?) and I'm pretty sure he'll be w/ them for this short U.S. stint so if you want details let me know and I might be able to provide them.
gregpolard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lineup announced for Philly, featuring Cro Mags.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was never a huge cocksparrer fan,and 30 bucks is kind of high, but that is a pretty stacked bill either way you look at it.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.

no way, welly is flying out for this one.
versiön soünd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is cock sparring kind of like "sword fighting"?
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha. worst band name ever. i forget what it means. like a troublemaker or something.
gregpolard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:

hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:

hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.

yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.

cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.
gregpolard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:

yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.

cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.

I feel like I should elaborate about the Cro Mags too. I don't really think that "AOQ" is overrated...I just think as a whole they are since they have like 6 LPs and really the only one anyone cares about is the first one yet people talk about them like they had this flawless career. FWIW, I like "Best Wishes" a lot. "Alpha Omega" actually is decent as well. But people that think they are the greatest HC band of all time, it doesn't compute with me because I'd rather listen to a lot of that early Dischord stuff or whatever. I guess that's why I'm on this board.
versiön soünd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like Life of Dreams better than Age of Quarrel.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:

I feel like I should elaborate about the Cro Mags too. I don't really think that "AOQ" is overrated...I just think as a whole they are since they have like 6 LPs and really the only one anyone cares about is the first one yet people talk about them like they had this flawless career. FWIW, I like "Best Wishes" a lot. "Alpha Omega" actually is decent as well. But people that think they are the greatest HC band of all time, it doesn't compute with me because I'd rather listen to a lot of that early Dischord stuff or whatever. I guess that's why I'm on this board.

i guess they have 5 lps. near death experience was just to get out of their century media contract and is pretty awful. the 5th would be revenge, but that was just the white devil ep harley did with parris and he re recorded those and put them on revenge, which as a whole is not very good. they even airbrushed rocky off of the cover. in most ways, i would not count that as a cro mags album, but more like a harley solo lp. i know no one on this board gives a fuck either way. people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.
versiön soünd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.

I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.
gregpolard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:

i guess they have 5 lps. near death experience was just to get out of their century media contract and is pretty awful. the 5th would be revenge, but that was just the white devil ep harley did with parris and he re recorded those and put them on revenge, which as a whole is not very good. they even airbrushed rocky off of the cover. in most ways, i would not count that as a cro mags album, but more like a harley solo lp. i know no one on this board gives a fuck either way. people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.

I see what you're saying. I just think it's funny that when I got into HC (I mean I guess it was the same time as you since we're roughly the same age) no one really talked about Cro Mags, granted I got into the more Ebullition era of things (talked about on another thread) as well as early Revelation stuff and of course Dischord/SST. So it wasn't until Right Brigade when every kid wanted to be "hard" and all of a sudden Age Of Quarrel became the bible for every angry white suburban kid.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.

I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.

i would say i can see where you are coming from, but i don not wholly agree with you. cro mags were anything but a nyhc boy band. they were the real deal nyc guys. outside of parris, they were all from the streets or had shit lives. i know they were on the cover of spin and had some mtv play, but that was pretty small in comparison to how bands are marketed today. they just got on the good metal tours with motorhead and megadeth and were the first band metal heads actually respected b.c they could really play. also, if any metal heads thought they could beat the fuck out of the "punkers" at a metal show, they had another thing coming when a guy like ratbones showed up to city gardens. if anything, the metal heads were the ones getting their asses handed to them at that point.
gregpolard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i would say i can see where you are coming from, but i don not wholly agree with you. cro mags were anything but a nyhc boy band. they were the real deal nyc guys. outside of parris, they were all from the streets or had shit lives. i know they were on the cover of spin and had some mtv play, but that was pretty small in comparison to how bands are marketed today. they just got on the good metal tours with motorhead and megadeth and were the first band metal heads actually respected b.c they could really play. also, if any metal heads thought they could beat the fuck out of the "punkers" at a metal show, they had another thing coming when a guy like ratbones showed up to city gardens. if anything, the metal heads were the ones getting their asses handed to them at that point.

Hey now! I'm not for a second insinuating that they are/were not the real deal. They were. But it's funny to me that so many suburban privaleged white bread hardcore kids took "Age Of Quarrel" as their bible and say how much it changed their lives when really, for me, I cannot fully relate to the lyrics as I have never had to survive on the streets, etc. Does that make sense? Who knows.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:

I see what you're saying. I just think it's funny that when I got into HC (I mean I guess it was the same time as you since we're roughly the same age) no one really talked about Cro Mags, granted I got into the more Ebullition era of things (talked about on another thread) as well as early Revelation stuff and of course Dischord/SST. So it wasn't until Right Brigade when every kid wanted to be "hard" and all of a sudden Age Of Quarrel became the bible for every angry white suburban kid.

yeah, i have said it here before, cro mags were liked over in the west coast, but they still had the most fervent fanbase from old NYHC/NJ guys in the early/mid 90s. i think partly so much of that was just the backlash to moshing at that time. who was going to book you if you were that kind of band outside of SXE promoters? pretty much no one. they are definitely hyped up after the internet.
lewdd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cock Sparrer's worst song > Cromags best song

End of thread.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Hey now! I'm not for a second insinuating that they are/were not the real deal. They were. But it's funny to me that so many suburban privaleged white bread hardcore kids took "Age Of Quarrel" as their bible and say how much it changed their lives when really, for me, I cannot fully relate to the lyrics as I have never had to survive on the streets, etc. Does that make sense? Who knows.

haha, i was talking to version actually. i know what you are saying about the mags, i addressed it in two different posts to you guys. i think the same kids into madball and shit like that just found it was cool to like the source of all of that music.
gregpolard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

haha, i was talking to version actually. i know what you are saying about the mags, i addressed it in two different posts to you guys. i think the same kids into madball and shit like that just found it was cool to like the source of all of that music.

Gotcha. Just didn't want the wrong idea getting out there.....last thing I need is Harley showing up at my apartment trying to Ju Jitsu me.
versiön soünd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean that I doubt their sincerity or bona fides, just that the record is a little too slick, even the demo is a little too slick. It's got no quirks. The production is too good for what they are supposed to represent.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

versiön soünd wrote:
I don't mean that I doubt their sincerity or bona fides, just that the record is a little too slick, even the demo is a little too slick. It's got no quirks. The production is too good for what they are supposed to represent.

wow, i have never heard anyone say the demo production is too slick. that is some straight bare bones crushing production on there. i see your point. but to be fair, the crumbsuckers were just as produced, if not more so.
JGJR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
lineup announced for Philly, featuring Cro Mags.

http://www.r5productions.com/event/96331/

That's a great bill. I'm marking it on the calendar for sure.
JGJR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:

I think the Cro-Mags worship in the HC scene (at least in NJ) really started with Hardware fanzine when Brett Beach (one of its authors) and a guy named Geoff Dag (not you VS) went to see them at the old Pipeline in Newark. Brett wrote a piece about going to see Hoover at Jon Hiltz's house (I was at that show, BTW) and how everyone was sitting down on the floor and it bummed them out that even though they didn't want to see The Cro-Mags becuase it was in Newark and $20 or whatever, they were blown away. Fast forward a few months. The Cro-Mags played Middlesex (which Geoff booked) and it seemed like each subsequent issue of Hardware had more coverage of late '80s NYHC type bands (including at least a few Cro-Mags show reviews per issue) that at the time, were considered kind of passe by many (esp. the Ebullition crowd you mentioned).

I guess it must've snowballed from there, but those were the roots of the '90s and beyond 'Mags worship, at least from my perspective because I saw it first-hand. As for my personal opinion, I've liked The Age of Quarrel a lot since I was 16, but don't understand how it could possibly be considered the best hardcore Lp ever.

Last edited by JGJR on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
JGJR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, i have said it here before, cro mags were liked over in the west coast, but they still had the most fervent fanbase from old NYHC/NJ guys in the early/mid 90s. i think partly so much of that was just the backlash to moshing at that time.

You hit the nail on the head. See my previous post on the subject in this thread.
earthdog70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer. They are playing in the smaller room of this club apparently. Tickets went on sale last Friday and sold out quickly Idea
Welly!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.

I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy
JGJR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing

those brits really hold a grudge.
JGJR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer. They are playing in the smaller room of this club apparently. Tickets went on sale last Friday and sold out quickly Idea

The Philly show sold out really quickly, too. I honestly didn't realize that they have such a big following.
JGJR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

For reals. He's still mad about the OG tea party. Laughing
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGJR wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

The Philly show sold out really quickly, too. I honestly didn't realize that they have such a big following.

there is a 3 page thread on the b9 about how awesome it is going to be. i am sure slapshot playing locally helps, since they only play a few times a year, and end up cancelling half of those shows. i guess the place is pretty big though, at least one venue seems close to 1500 people or 2000. i don't know, is it still the original members? don't get the mass appeal of this band. but people like rancid, so what do i know?
Welly!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

I think you'll find it's only you lot that ever brings it up. Very Happy

I remember some guy on tour over there saying to me; "yeah, we really kicked your asses in the war huh?!" It took me a minute to figure out what the fuck he was on about.

See, you're just all war and uniform minded. While we're just looking for the booze cupboard.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welly! wrote:
JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

I remember some guy on tour over there saying to me; "yeah, we really kicked your asses in the war huh?!" It took me a minute to figure out what the fuck he was on about.

See, you're just all war and uniform minded. While we're just looking for the booze cupboard.

on a random note, i am trying to sell my dad's old british coins. no one over here wants them. someone told me 1888 was not old enough. and i thought record collectors were pretentious.
yourenotevil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welly! wrote:
JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:

to be fair, when i was in prague i met some guy in his 40s who was still incensed that the U.S. had let Czechoslovakia fall under the Iron Curtain. talk about holding a grudge.
Ras Tuh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
to be fair, when i was in prague i met some guy in his 40s who was still incensed that the U.S. had let Czechoslovakia fall under the Iron Curtain. talk about holding a grudge.

Talk to a Hungarian of about that age about the Hungarian uprising. You'll get an earful.
pédrö

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ras Tuh wrote:
Talk to a Hungarian of about that age about the Hungarian uprising. You'll get an earful.

Suddenly, I have a craving for a sandwich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daghouse Archive Forum Index -> daghouse All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: