Daghouse Archive Forum Index Daghouse Archive
To access the current board, go to: www.daghouse.com/board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cock Sparrer 2012 tour dates

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daghouse Archive Forum Index -> daghouse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
earthdog70



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 5485
Location: Beyond The Wildwood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Cock Sparrer 2012 tour dates Reply with quote

If anyone wants to rock out on this weekend in May, let me know Idea


http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/02/cock_sparrer_ad.html




_________________
"Word are alright as words-but never let them get in the way."-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
lewdd



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 14380
Location: .......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are going. They rocked Riot Fest 2x a few years ago.
_________________
......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
earthdog70



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 5485
Location: Beyond The Wildwood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep-getting tickets today. A bit pricey at $30, but I'm sure to bring them over and house them is not cheap either Exclamation
_________________
"Word are alright as words-but never let them get in the way."-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdog70 wrote:
Yep-getting tickets today. A bit pricey at $30, but I'm sure to bring them over and house them is not cheap either Exclamation


I have a friend who's traveled with them in the past (not sure in what capacity; tour manager, sound, something else?) and I'm pretty sure he'll be w/ them for this short U.S. stint so if you want details let me know and I might be able to provide them.
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gregpolard



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 6116
Location: Hatboro, PA (Philly burbs)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lineup announced for Philly, featuring Cro Mags.
_________________
Greg Polard (in cursive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was never a huge cocksparrer fan,and 30 bucks is kind of high, but that is a pretty stacked bill either way you look at it.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bill



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 10124
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.
_________________
scannest wrote:
I love when the font on an album cover tells me everything I need to know about a band. It saves me so much time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


no way, welly is flying out for this one.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
versiön soünd



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 29635
Location: up on the roof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is cock sparring kind of like "sword fighting"?
_________________
True sailing is dead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha. worst band name ever. i forget what it means. like a troublemaker or something.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregpolard



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 6116
Location: Hatboro, PA (Philly burbs)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.
_________________
Greg Polard (in cursive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.


yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.


cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregpolard



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 6116
Location: Hatboro, PA (Philly burbs)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.


yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.


cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.


I feel like I should elaborate about the Cro Mags too. I don't really think that "AOQ" is overrated...I just think as a whole they are since they have like 6 LPs and really the only one anyone cares about is the first one yet people talk about them like they had this flawless career. FWIW, I like "Best Wishes" a lot. "Alpha Omega" actually is decent as well. But people that think they are the greatest HC band of all time, it doesn't compute with me because I'd rather listen to a lot of that early Dischord stuff or whatever. I guess that's why I'm on this board.
_________________
Greg Polard (in cursive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
versiön soünd



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 29635
Location: up on the roof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like Life of Dreams better than Age of Quarrel.
_________________
True sailing is dead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.


yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.


cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.


I feel like I should elaborate about the Cro Mags too. I don't really think that "AOQ" is overrated...I just think as a whole they are since they have like 6 LPs and really the only one anyone cares about is the first one yet people talk about them like they had this flawless career. FWIW, I like "Best Wishes" a lot. "Alpha Omega" actually is decent as well. But people that think they are the greatest HC band of all time, it doesn't compute with me because I'd rather listen to a lot of that early Dischord stuff or whatever. I guess that's why I'm on this board.



i guess they have 5 lps. near death experience was just to get out of their century media contract and is pretty awful. the 5th would be revenge, but that was just the white devil ep harley did with parris and he re recorded those and put them on revenge, which as a whole is not very good. they even airbrushed rocky off of the cover. in most ways, i would not count that as a cro mags album, but more like a harley solo lp. i know no one on this board gives a fuck either way. people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
versiön soünd



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 29635
Location: up on the roof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.
_________________
True sailing is dead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gregpolard



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 6116
Location: Hatboro, PA (Philly burbs)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.


yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.


cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.


I feel like I should elaborate about the Cro Mags too. I don't really think that "AOQ" is overrated...I just think as a whole they are since they have like 6 LPs and really the only one anyone cares about is the first one yet people talk about them like they had this flawless career. FWIW, I like "Best Wishes" a lot. "Alpha Omega" actually is decent as well. But people that think they are the greatest HC band of all time, it doesn't compute with me because I'd rather listen to a lot of that early Dischord stuff or whatever. I guess that's why I'm on this board.



i guess they have 5 lps. near death experience was just to get out of their century media contract and is pretty awful. the 5th would be revenge, but that was just the white devil ep harley did with parris and he re recorded those and put them on revenge, which as a whole is not very good. they even airbrushed rocky off of the cover. in most ways, i would not count that as a cro mags album, but more like a harley solo lp. i know no one on this board gives a fuck either way. people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I see what you're saying. I just think it's funny that when I got into HC (I mean I guess it was the same time as you since we're roughly the same age) no one really talked about Cro Mags, granted I got into the more Ebullition era of things (talked about on another thread) as well as early Revelation stuff and of course Dischord/SST. So it wasn't until Right Brigade when every kid wanted to be "hard" and all of a sudden Age Of Quarrel became the bible for every angry white suburban kid.
_________________
Greg Polard (in cursive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.


i would say i can see where you are coming from, but i don not wholly agree with you. cro mags were anything but a nyhc boy band. they were the real deal nyc guys. outside of parris, they were all from the streets or had shit lives. i know they were on the cover of spin and had some mtv play, but that was pretty small in comparison to how bands are marketed today. they just got on the good metal tours with motorhead and megadeth and were the first band metal heads actually respected b.c they could really play. also, if any metal heads thought they could beat the fuck out of the "punkers" at a metal show, they had another thing coming when a guy like ratbones showed up to city gardens. if anything, the metal heads were the ones getting their asses handed to them at that point.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregpolard



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 6116
Location: Hatboro, PA (Philly burbs)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.


i would say i can see where you are coming from, but i don not wholly agree with you. cro mags were anything but a nyhc boy band. they were the real deal nyc guys. outside of parris, they were all from the streets or had shit lives. i know they were on the cover of spin and had some mtv play, but that was pretty small in comparison to how bands are marketed today. they just got on the good metal tours with motorhead and megadeth and were the first band metal heads actually respected b.c they could really play. also, if any metal heads thought they could beat the fuck out of the "punkers" at a metal show, they had another thing coming when a guy like ratbones showed up to city gardens. if anything, the metal heads were the ones getting their asses handed to them at that point.


Hey now! I'm not for a second insinuating that they are/were not the real deal. They were. But it's funny to me that so many suburban privaleged white bread hardcore kids took "Age Of Quarrel" as their bible and say how much it changed their lives when really, for me, I cannot fully relate to the lyrics as I have never had to survive on the streets, etc. Does that make sense? Who knows.
_________________
Greg Polard (in cursive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:
Cock Sparrer and Cro-Mags, a combo of two of the most overrated punk bands of all time.


hahah I honestly have only ever heard one Cocksparrer song and remember enjoying it but that isn't generally my kind of music.

Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" is actually a perfect HC LP but at the same time, the band as a whole is insanely overrated by your average Johnny Hardcore Kid.


yeah i never got the whole cocksparrer thing either. half of their shit is like 2nd rate clash. some of the early stuff is really good though. but compared to other bands like cockney rejects or something, they are 2nd tier.


cro mags rule. i have seen this current line up several times and i always have a good time. the only downside is you know the setlist they are going to play every time. they played here in L.A. for free at one of those Scion shows on a Sunday and I passed on it, so even I am getting a little weary of them at this point.


I feel like I should elaborate about the Cro Mags too. I don't really think that "AOQ" is overrated...I just think as a whole they are since they have like 6 LPs and really the only one anyone cares about is the first one yet people talk about them like they had this flawless career. FWIW, I like "Best Wishes" a lot. "Alpha Omega" actually is decent as well. But people that think they are the greatest HC band of all time, it doesn't compute with me because I'd rather listen to a lot of that early Dischord stuff or whatever. I guess that's why I'm on this board.



i guess they have 5 lps. near death experience was just to get out of their century media contract and is pretty awful. the 5th would be revenge, but that was just the white devil ep harley did with parris and he re recorded those and put them on revenge, which as a whole is not very good. they even airbrushed rocky off of the cover. in most ways, i would not count that as a cro mags album, but more like a harley solo lp. i know no one on this board gives a fuck either way. people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I see what you're saying. I just think it's funny that when I got into HC (I mean I guess it was the same time as you since we're roughly the same age) no one really talked about Cro Mags, granted I got into the more Ebullition era of things (talked about on another thread) as well as early Revelation stuff and of course Dischord/SST. So it wasn't until Right Brigade when every kid wanted to be "hard" and all of a sudden Age Of Quarrel became the bible for every angry white suburban kid.


yeah, i have said it here before, cro mags were liked over in the west coast, but they still had the most fervent fanbase from old NYHC/NJ guys in the early/mid 90s. i think partly so much of that was just the backlash to moshing at that time. who was going to book you if you were that kind of band outside of SXE promoters? pretty much no one. they are definitely hyped up after the internet.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lewdd



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 14380
Location: .......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cock Sparrer's worst song > Cromags best song

End of thread.
_________________
......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.


i would say i can see where you are coming from, but i don not wholly agree with you. cro mags were anything but a nyhc boy band. they were the real deal nyc guys. outside of parris, they were all from the streets or had shit lives. i know they were on the cover of spin and had some mtv play, but that was pretty small in comparison to how bands are marketed today. they just got on the good metal tours with motorhead and megadeth and were the first band metal heads actually respected b.c they could really play. also, if any metal heads thought they could beat the fuck out of the "punkers" at a metal show, they had another thing coming when a guy like ratbones showed up to city gardens. if anything, the metal heads were the ones getting their asses handed to them at that point.


Hey now! I'm not for a second insinuating that they are/were not the real deal. They were. But it's funny to me that so many suburban privaleged white bread hardcore kids took "Age Of Quarrel" as their bible and say how much it changed their lives when really, for me, I cannot fully relate to the lyrics as I have never had to survive on the streets, etc. Does that make sense? Who knows.


haha, i was talking to version actually. i know what you are saying about the mags, i addressed it in two different posts to you guys. i think the same kids into madball and shit like that just found it was cool to like the source of all of that music.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregpolard



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 6116
Location: Hatboro, PA (Philly burbs)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
versiön soünd wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
people can call them overrated, but they are the only hardcore band that can go out on tour with no original members outside of harley or john singing and still sell out crowds playing a 25 year old record.


I'm not sure what that says about them, except that they are popular. Popularity does not equal quality. I like AOQ better now than I did when it came out. There was a shit load of hype around them at the time and my reaction when the LP finally came out was was kind of "that's what all the hype was about????". It's a good record, but it's a little too on the nose for my taste, kind of like manufactured boy band NYHC. Victim in Pain is 100 times better, IMO.


i would say i can see where you are coming from, but i don not wholly agree with you. cro mags were anything but a nyhc boy band. they were the real deal nyc guys. outside of parris, they were all from the streets or had shit lives. i know they were on the cover of spin and had some mtv play, but that was pretty small in comparison to how bands are marketed today. they just got on the good metal tours with motorhead and megadeth and were the first band metal heads actually respected b.c they could really play. also, if any metal heads thought they could beat the fuck out of the "punkers" at a metal show, they had another thing coming when a guy like ratbones showed up to city gardens. if anything, the metal heads were the ones getting their asses handed to them at that point.


Hey now! I'm not for a second insinuating that they are/were not the real deal. They were. But it's funny to me that so many suburban privaleged white bread hardcore kids took "Age Of Quarrel" as their bible and say how much it changed their lives when really, for me, I cannot fully relate to the lyrics as I have never had to survive on the streets, etc. Does that make sense? Who knows.


haha, i was talking to version actually. i know what you are saying about the mags, i addressed it in two different posts to you guys. i think the same kids into madball and shit like that just found it was cool to like the source of all of that music.


Gotcha. Just didn't want the wrong idea getting out there.....last thing I need is Harley showing up at my apartment trying to Ju Jitsu me.
_________________
Greg Polard (in cursive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
versiön soünd



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 29635
Location: up on the roof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean that I doubt their sincerity or bona fides, just that the record is a little too slick, even the demo is a little too slick. It's got no quirks. The production is too good for what they are supposed to represent.
_________________
True sailing is dead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

versiön soünd wrote:
I don't mean that I doubt their sincerity or bona fides, just that the record is a little too slick, even the demo is a little too slick. It's got no quirks. The production is too good for what they are supposed to represent.


wow, i have never heard anyone say the demo production is too slick. that is some straight bare bones crushing production on there. i see your point. but to be fair, the crumbsuckers were just as produced, if not more so.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:
lineup announced for Philly, featuring Cro Mags.


http://www.r5productions.com/event/96331/

That's a great bill. I'm marking it on the calendar for sure.
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregpolard wrote:

I see what you're saying. I just think it's funny that when I got into HC (I mean I guess it was the same time as you since we're roughly the same age) no one really talked about Cro Mags, granted I got into the more Ebullition era of things (talked about on another thread) as well as early Revelation stuff and of course Dischord/SST. So it wasn't until Right Brigade when every kid wanted to be "hard" and all of a sudden Age Of Quarrel became the bible for every angry white suburban kid.


I think the Cro-Mags worship in the HC scene (at least in NJ) really started with Hardware fanzine when Brett Beach (one of its authors) and a guy named Geoff Dag (not you VS) went to see them at the old Pipeline in Newark. Brett wrote a piece about going to see Hoover at Jon Hiltz's house (I was at that show, BTW) and how everyone was sitting down on the floor and it bummed them out that even though they didn't want to see The Cro-Mags becuase it was in Newark and $20 or whatever, they were blown away. Fast forward a few months. The Cro-Mags played Middlesex (which Geoff booked) and it seemed like each subsequent issue of Hardware had more coverage of late '80s NYHC type bands (including at least a few Cro-Mags show reviews per issue) that at the time, were considered kind of passe by many (esp. the Ebullition crowd you mentioned).

I guess it must've snowballed from there, but those were the roots of the '90s and beyond 'Mags worship, at least from my perspective because I saw it first-hand. As for my personal opinion, I've liked The Age of Quarrel a lot since I was 16, but don't understand how it could possibly be considered the best hardcore Lp ever.
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.


Last edited by JGJR on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, i have said it here before, cro mags were liked over in the west coast, but they still had the most fervent fanbase from old NYHC/NJ guys in the early/mid 90s. i think partly so much of that was just the backlash to moshing at that time.


You hit the nail on the head. See my previous post on the subject in this thread.
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
earthdog70



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 5485
Location: Beyond The Wildwood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer. They are playing in the smaller room of this club apparently. Tickets went on sale last Friday and sold out quickly Idea
_________________
"Word are alright as words-but never let them get in the way."-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Welly!



Joined: 26 May 2004
Posts: 5968
Location: 51st State

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy
_________________
.....................................................................................................................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy


And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy


And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing


those brits really hold a grudge.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer. They are playing in the smaller room of this club apparently. Tickets went on sale last Friday and sold out quickly Idea


The Philly show sold out really quickly, too. I honestly didn't realize that they have such a big following.
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JGJR



Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 7473
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy


And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing


those brits really hold a grudge.


For reals. He's still mad about the OG tea party. Laughing
_________________
Stormy wrote:
Whoever said all Zeppelin's albums are shitty needs to chop their ears off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGJR wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer. They are playing in the smaller room of this club apparently. Tickets went on sale last Friday and sold out quickly Idea


The Philly show sold out really quickly, too. I honestly didn't realize that they have such a big following.


there is a 3 page thread on the b9 about how awesome it is going to be. i am sure slapshot playing locally helps, since they only play a few times a year, and end up cancelling half of those shows. i guess the place is pretty big though, at least one venue seems close to 1500 people or 2000. i don't know, is it still the original members? don't get the mass appeal of this band. but people like rancid, so what do i know?
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Welly!



Joined: 26 May 2004
Posts: 5968
Location: 51st State

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy


And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing


those brits really hold a grudge.


For reals. He's still mad about the OG tea party. Laughing


I think you'll find it's only you lot that ever brings it up. Very Happy

I remember some guy on tour over there saying to me; "yeah, we really kicked your asses in the war huh?!" It took me a minute to figure out what the fuck he was on about.

See, you're just all war and uniform minded. While we're just looking for the booze cupboard.
_________________
.....................................................................................................................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welly! wrote:
JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy


And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing


those brits really hold a grudge.


For reals. He's still mad about the OG tea party. Laughing


I think you'll find it's only you lot that ever brings it up. Very Happy

I remember some guy on tour over there saying to me; "yeah, we really kicked your asses in the war huh?!" It took me a minute to figure out what the fuck he was on about.

See, you're just all war and uniform minded. While we're just looking for the booze cupboard.


on a random note, i am trying to sell my dad's old british coins. no one over here wants them. someone told me 1888 was not old enough. and i thought record collectors were pretentious.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yourenotevil



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 4562
Location: that place poison idea are from

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welly! wrote:
JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly! wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:
Slapshot is on the Boston area show with Cock Sparrer.


I'd need some pretty strong coffee to make it through that evening. Very Happy


And to think that Welly doesn't wanna put Boston back on the map. Sheesh... Laughing


those brits really hold a grudge.


For reals. He's still mad about the OG tea party. Laughing


I think you'll find it's only you lot that ever brings it up. Very Happy

I remember some guy on tour over there saying to me; "yeah, we really kicked your asses in the war huh?!" It took me a minute to figure out what the fuck he was on about.

See, you're just all war and uniform minded. While we're just looking for the booze cupboard.


to be fair, when i was in prague i met some guy in his 40s who was still incensed that the U.S. had let Czechoslovakia fall under the Iron Curtain. talk about holding a grudge.
_________________
What the fuck.Fuck shit up!-Chuck Dukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ras Tuh



Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Posts: 1685
Location: 2 cool 4 skull

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
to be fair, when i was in prague i met some guy in his 40s who was still incensed that the U.S. had let Czechoslovakia fall under the Iron Curtain. talk about holding a grudge.


Talk to a Hungarian of about that age about the Hungarian uprising. You'll get an earful.
_________________
See, statements like that are why everyone thinks you're mentally ill.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pédrö



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Posts: 12186

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ras Tuh wrote:
Talk to a Hungarian of about that age about the Hungarian uprising. You'll get an earful.


Suddenly, I have a craving for a sandwich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daghouse Archive Forum Index -> daghouse All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group